Monday, September 7

To choose one is to forsake the promise of all others.

So a combination of things. I read the 2004 posts on Sun's blog, someone was on that same introspective trip - what am I doing with life and such - the one that I go on so often, a friend's wedding plans did not work out and the gloomy weather. Somehow the perceived clarity I have on what I want to do with life seems more like resignation than control. Like I've started believing I made this choice rather than having it thrust on me, which really it has been. This firm, this job, this city. Just a coincidence. Right place, right time, a little bit of luck and lot of preparation. Definitely not choice. If I had it my way, I'd be travelling to exotic places, writing, singing, doing more development work. I wish I had more financial independence.

Anyway, somehow the expectations of women is so much lower in our society. It's extremely insulting. I can understand if there is a difference in those fields that require brute strength but in professional life, it's bizarre! And women tend to reinforce that. In their families, their children. I just wish I could shake them up and tell them, we've come such a long way and we have so much more to do.

Women and human rights. These issues are something I want to be involved in when I move to Delhi. And tiger conservation. I hope I don't make new excuses to myself to rationalize my laziness.

I really don't want to become another irrelevant life.