Friday, September 30

a few grumbles and a grouse

Wow do I have a lot of things to crib about today or what!?!?!

First off, why are we so in the habit of bending backwards? We are a country of people who will let everybody trample on us, willingly. I know you have this picture of a neatly dressed saree-clad woman, waiting for her husband to atleast show up for dinner, which she so lovingly prepared. A woman, who gave up her career and her everything to play for the same old "good wife" title. I don't know if this is a global phenomenon. Sure, Felicity did it in Desperate Housewives and Oprah has millions of shows dedicated to battered, raped, physically and mentally abused women. But why is my frame of reference the stupid United States? It happens all over the world. In China, women are treated like mannequins, in Iraq, a little worse than slaves. Oh but the whole point of my ranting was the ill-advised vote against Iran. I don't care if they actually argue that it is a blessing in disguise. How can we succumb to the pressure tactics that the U.S so shamelessly uses? This was our chance, a great opportunity to explore alternative sources of energy because, God knows, we need them. How important is U.S support and approval to us, anyway?
I have always wanted India, China and a few other countries(obviously and definitely excluding the U.S.) to form an alternative to the U.N, and to form some kind of a collaboration much like the European Union. I don't know why Manmohan actually brought up Vajpayee at the discussions with Bush. Maybe it was anti-incumbency that ultimately saw the reigns of India in the Congress' hands but it was Vajpayee's government that made the U.S and especially, Pakistan stop their lousy manipulations and tricks and take notice of a nation, that was only becoming more powerful and a force to reckon with.
Talking of political parties, it is a fact that we have a choice between an uneasy compromise masquerading as a coalition front and one which has lost it's ideology and philosophy in all it's internal squabbles. Which is why I was quite amazed by the Bharat Uday Mission. It's aim of an economically, socially, politically and spiritually developed India is quite ambitious, difficult even. But on the brighter side, there seem to be a lot of motivated people, who really believe that change is possible. I, for one, am absolutely excited to be part of this mission. And to me the change is inevitable.

There are very few things that really get me agitated. Indian cricket is one of them. When is the BCCI ever going to learn that it has to start punishing failure instead of rewarding success? When is the BCCI ever going to stop dithering and take a stand? I've always wanted Ganguly to do what he does best. Take his shirt off and wave it around. In the stands. Off the field. Unfortunately, that's just not happening. Yeah, so he did give the team this aggressive, i'll-kill-'em-all attitude. Bloody crap. What's the point having the attitude when all we can do is win against a stupid African nation? It's funny how the BCCI gave a statement saying that the coach, the captain and players will now be selected and retained based on their performance. So, the good thing is, they've finally accepted that their selection procedure was purely based on failure and ofcourse under-the-table money that they frequently got.

Oh that African nation statement sounded a little harsh. I have nothing against them. If anything, I'm glad that they are getting international support but really still not enough of it. The UN World Summit saw neither a review or an expression of political commitment by the so-called rich nations. Okay, the IMF and the World Bank will finance their debt relief. So, when are they going to start the actual process of nation-building? The Global Call to Action Against Poverty (GCAP) is one movement that is working towards procuring aid for these nations. Their target of 0.7% from the rich nations has still not been met, 35 years after it was first drafted! Africa is one continent that I must visit. All I know is what I see on Discovery Channel, the exotic side of it, filled with beauty and CNN, the impoverished, malnourished side, living with the reality of genocide. Rwanda, Siberia, Sudan - I really don't know what else to do other than signing letters of action on the internet, keeping myself in touch with their world as much as possible and forwarding mails about their living conditions.
I'm preparing for CAT, you see.
Pathetic!

Closer home, what does CBN need to do to win? Keeping the beard doesn't seem to be working for him, unlike someone I know. Instead of concentrating on the Congress' fetish with the Rajiv Gandhi name, he'll benefit by going for a total image change. He should become a scythe-wielding farmer instead of being a laptop-crazy CEO. But that's just a beginning. If he hopes to win the Assembly Elections, he sure as hell, needs to do a lot more.

Now, onto things more personal.
Imagine this. I finally buy the 5 star I've been dying to have all week. I have a bite. Relish it and keep it on my dash board. Saving the rest for a little later. I get down to buy a recharge card. I come back, fuming and pretty pissed off that the idiot didn't have the denomination I wanted. I reach for my lifesaving, 450 calories of pure heaven. It's disappeared. I look up to see his sheepish grin and an empty, crumpled *talking about it chokes me up*. God, someone please tell him to act his age, and not his shoe size.
I don't know what her problem is. I made it quite clear to her that I wanted nothing to do with her or her life. And especially her problems. But she just doesn't leave me alone. Don't even assume that I should be flattered, in some wierd way, to have my very own personal stalker. She's worse. She sends me sentimental messages about friendship and love. I'm not heartless. I just can't stand it anymore. God, someone please tell her to wake up and see my desperate attempts to lose her.
I don't remember the last time I was happy. I'm not talking about the insane, out-of-control happy. I'm talking about that sunshine-made-me-smile kinda joy. I've just stopped feeling it. Small things just don't turn me on anymore. Yeah baby, bring me the diamonds. God, make me a rainbow and help me wonder at it's stunning beauty and all that crap.

And for everybody else's sake, please ensure that all the traffic lights are on green when I'm running late for a movie.

* inspired by Rahul 'cos he said this -
"u r totally kaamless kya these days. looks u r back in form taking personality tests and praising people u like on ur blog"
:) *